Thursday 3 December 2015

Lidl Deluxe Green Rooibos, Peach & Cherry







A fruit tea. Sort of. Rooisbos is the South African redbush tea - a sort of caffiene free black tea alternative. This one has been flavoured with peach, cherry, rose and something called "Natural Flavouring". There's a bit of vanilla about this, but if it was vanilla, I'm sure they would say.

It's fairly soft, bland, slightly tannic, with a mild peach flavour. Not really my thing.

See also:   Dammann Freres Rooibos Parfume Vanille

Score: 3   Date: Dec 2015


Since first reviewing this at the start of December last year, I have changed my mind. I keep returning to it, and I find it light and refreshing with a delicate peach flavour. It finishes with a pleasing coconut note.  It is becoming one of my green/fruit teas of choice, and I will be returning to Lidl to pick up some more!

Score: 7  Date: Jan  2016



Lidl Tea & Coffee



6 comments:

  1. Does this contain any liquorice in the natural flavouring?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not as far as I'm aware. It's been a while since I drank it, but I don't recall any liquorice in the flavour. I'm not sure what the natural flavour actually is - and I assume if it was something marketable like vanilla or licorice they would say. My understanding of "natural flavouring" is that it is a component derived from a natural source used to stabilise the overall flavour of the product, but likely to be somewhat processed so it would not be appropriate or legal to name the original source, or it is a natural source which may not be appealing to the consumer, such as a toadstool, or the crushed wings of a black beetle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is this suitable for vegetarians?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just bought this today at Lidl in Ireland - in a new black Deluxe packaging. It states on the ingredients list “Natural Almond Flavouring” - maybe that’s what you perceived as the vanilla and coconut notes..?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's interesting. Yes, maybe that is what I was tasting. Thanks for that.

      Delete